Tuesday 18 June 2013

Let there be Lettuce

 
 
Most of this lettuce was planted in March and we've been having salads for the last two months.  You can see that some of the plants are getting tall and frizzly which means that they will soon be finished and going to seed.  This also means that their lovely mild flavour will now become bitter.  I should pull them out and sow some more seeds this weekend so a fresh crop of lettuce will arrive in about a month.  Most lettuce tolerates cold well so can grow well to first frost without special attention.
 
 
The lettuce was planted in a 4 foot by 4 foot raised bed I built a couple years ago out of scrap wood.  I was quite proud of my mitred cuts on the corner top pieces, however, I since learned that mitred joints are not for outdoors as they encourage buckling with moisture.  Next time I'll keep it simple, no fancy angled cuts.

 
My favourite lettuce seeds rescued once before hiding in a pocket prior to being hucked into the laundry and found today in the bottom of my purse. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment